Within our areas of expertise we provide Research, Learning and Communications services.
Our research-oriented services reflect two approaches:
1. Field research and experiments
We undertake full research programmes, including design, execution and publications. We are particularly strong in participatory research with farmers, socio-economic research and food security assessments. We also provide advice, backstopping and quality assurance for field research and experiments.
2. Desk studies, analyses and syntheses
We carry out desk studies, analyse many types of data, to synthesise the latest existing knowledge in topics of sustainable (agricultural) development.
Examples of our research work:
- Sustainable agriculture and food security in an era of oil scarcity: Lessons from Cuba: Book published by Earthscan Publications (Research and writing by Julia Wright based on PhD work and beyond, 2009)
- Organic agriculture and HIV/AIDS in sub-Saharan Africa. Policy Document. (Desk study and report by Julia Wright for IFOAM, 2008).
- Field research project in Mozambique on use of Jatropha curcas as a biofuel in small-scale farming: Research in Cabo Delgado and Manica provinces (Co-ordinated and managed by Flemming Nielsen together with Jan de Jongh, Arakis - for Fact Foundation, 2007-2010).
- Issues in the utilisation of indigenous knowledge in Agroforestry research. PhD research in Uganda (by Flemming Nielsen, based on research for ICRAF, 1994-98).
Our learning-oriented services can be differentiated into three categories:
1. Workshops and training seminars
We organise full workshops and seminars, or sessions and lectures as part of other programmes. Using a variety of tools (from lectures to participatory learning exercises), we have experience in targeting many different audiences, ranging from field level staff in development projects to university researchers.
- Training of trainers in Uganda on berry fruit production for Fair Trade and Organic exports (Julia Wright for Tropical Wholefoods/Garden Organic, 2010)
- Lectures for Masters' classes at Larenstein University, Netherlands: on HIV/AIDS & small-scale farming (Mundie Salm, 2008 and 2011) and Financing of development projects through carbon credits (Flemming Nielsen, 2010)
- Member of Scientific Committee for International Conference on Jatropha curcas (Flemming Nielsen for Fact Foundation, Netherlands, 2010)
2. Appraisals and evaluations
We carry out appraisals, feasibility studies and evaluations on agricultural or other development projects.
- Review: Review of the potential of Woody Biomass for Community Energy Production in Dryland India (Julia Wright for Coventry University/EPSRC, 2010).
- Feasibility study: Biofuels for small-scale farmers in Guinea Bissau (Flemming Nielsen for Fact Foundation, 2009).
3. Educational resources
We have experience in designing learning modules on sustainable agriculture and livelihood themes, for diverse ages and groups - formal and informal. The modules are based on a wide variety of participatory learning exercises, based on Farmer Field School approaches, games and theatre, in addition to theory-based lecture materials.
- 7-module educational series: Learning AgriCultures: Insights from sustainable small-scale farming) For educators at higher academic institutions and NGO trainers (Mundie Salm coordinated and developed this series, and was in the core writing team for six of the modules - for ILEIA, 2007-2011).
- Facilitators' Manual for the Junior Farmer Field and Life School programme in Mozambique: For primary school teachers, agricultural extensionists and community workers (Mundie Salm designed, co-ordinated and edited 7 of 8 modules plus Facilitators' Guide and Cultural Activities Guide - for FAO, 2005-2007).
- Agricultural research training materials: For researchers at the Ministry of Agriculture in Mozambique (Flemming Nielsen for Government of Mozambique financed by DANIDA, 2004-2007)
Our communications services reflect three directions of work:
1. Publications and websites
While maintaining our policy of clear, jargon-free communications, we write and edit scientific or journalistic articles in magazines and websites, as well as policy and project reports, guides, manuals, educational modules and other printed materials. We also design websites that bring together different publications along an agricultural development theme.
- Website on different research studies around Jatropha curcas as a biofuel for small-scale farming: Integrating research from various sources to provide an accessible overview of findings (website designed and constructed by Flemming Nielsen - for Fact Foundation, 2010).
- Book published by Earthscan Publications: Sustainable agriculture and food security in an era of oil scarcity: Lessons from Cuba (written by Julia Wright, 2009)
- Blogs for ILEIA - example: No-one should have the right to own life on LEISA's Farm Blog (written by Mundie Salm, 2009-2010)
- Short manual for Agromisa: Mitigating the effects of HIV/AIDS in small-scale farming (co-author Mundie Salm, 2008)
- Manual series for IFAD: Managing for impact in rural development: A guide for project Monitoring & Evaluation(writing, research and editing contributions by Julia Wright and Mundie Salm sub-contracted by Learning by Design, 2001-2002).
- Popular report for NEWS! "Made in Dignity" on the two-year campaign of the Network of European World Shops (co-ordinated and co-written by Mundie Salm, 1999).
2. Photographs and video
We have a large archive of high-quality photographs focused on small-scale farming in the tropics. We also have experience in producing videos on development themes.
Examples of our photography and video production:
- Go to our Photo Gallery: Our site publishes a large collection of high-quality photographs that can be purchased, depicting small-scale farming and rural development primarily in sub-Saharan Africa. (Photos by Flemming Nielsen, 1999-present).
- Video on Rural Food Security programme of FOS Mozambique: Footage from Manica and Tete provinces (Produced by Mundie Salm, 2005).
3. Translation services
We have in-house capacity for translating in:
- French to English
- Danish to/from English
- Dutch to English
- Portuguese to English